Chelsea vs Manchester City Injury Report: Aguero, Kompany, Zinchenko, Barkley, Moses



On at least two occasions this season, Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has said his club just isn’t in Manchester City’s league.

And with this admission, Sarri has stated that the goal for the year is not Premier League title contention, but a top four finish. We’ll find out just how far apart the two sides really are this weekend, as they will meet for the first time in 2018-19. Let’s take a look at the fitness and injury situation for this headliner fixture, which commences Saturday at Stamford Bridge.

For Chelsea, Ross Barkley is a doubt after picking up a knock on his ankle in the Europa League win over PAOK Salonika, but could be in contention if he passes a late fitness test. Victor Moses is also a doubt due to a back issue.

Switching over to the Sky Blues, Sergio Aguero is a doubt due to what’s been reported as an abductor injury. The Argentine was rested for the wins over Bournemouth and Watford after complaining of muscle fatigue, but did return to training. Aguero then picked up his latest muscular injury and now faces a late fitness test.

In regards to Vincent Kompany, he had to be subbed out early in the 2-1 win at Vicarage Road, but should be fine. Guardiola said he only has a cramp; nothing serious. Midfielder extraordinaire Kevin De Bruyne remains a long term injury absentee (knee).

Finally, Oleksandr Zinchenko didn’t feature against the Hornets due to a broken nose, but he’s returned to training now, and with the use of a protective mask could feature here.

Chelsea vs Manchester City FYIs

Kickoff, TV: Saturday December 8, 5:30 pm local, 12:30pm EST, Stamford Bridge, BT Sport 1, NBC Sports

Win probability according to Google: City 48%, Chelsea 25%, Draw probability is estimated at 27%.

Odds according to Odds Shark: City are favored to win, backed at 10/11. Chelsea are backed at 3/1 while odds for a draw are 13/5

Starting XI Predictions: Chelsea

Man City

Press conference video, quotes: coming Friday

Prediction: City 4, Chelsea 2

Feel free to post your own Chelsea and/or Man City starting XI predictions, as well as your best guess as to what the final score will be. Enjoy the match everybody!

Paul M. Banks runs The Sports, which is partnered with News Now. Banks, a former writer for NBC and Chicago, regularly appears as a guest pundit on WGN CLTV and co-hosts the “Let’s Get Weird, Sports” podcast on SB Nation. 

He also contributes sociopolitical essays to and Chicago NowFollow him on Twitter and Instagram. The content of his cat’s Instagram account is unquestionably superior to his.

Powered by

Speak Your Mind