United at Villarreal Team News: Carrick, Greenwood, Cavani, Shaw

Share

The biggest news in all of the soccer/football world right now is of course regime change at Manchester United. The Ole Gunnar Solskjaer exit interview was published, the statement posted and now it’s time to move on; hopefully to something better.

Here is a link to four potential replacement candidates. In the interim, Michael Carrick takes over, and his first game is one that has actually been flagged as a high security risk by the Spanish government. They’ll be at Villarreal, in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Manchester United at Villarreal (UCL Group Stage) FYIs

Kickoff: Tue Nov 23, 5:45pm Old Trafford

Manchester United Starting XI Prediction: go here

Champions League Form Guide:   United DWWD   Villarreal DLWW

Champions League Standings: United 1st, 7pts   Villarreal 7pts

Let’s take a look at what team news concerns Carrick will have here in terms of managing his team.

Mason Greenwood is out, having tested positive for the coronavirus while Paul Pogba and Raphael Varane are also sidelined, but in their case, it’s due to long term injuries. Edinson Cavani is a doubt due to a tendon issue while the same could be said for Luke Shaw, because of concussion protocol.

Google matchup predictor index gives Villarreal a 34% chance of winning this rematch of last season’s Europa League Final. It’s 27% for a draw, 39% for a United win.

The winner is near certain to go through to the knockout round, while a draw could see both teams still in pretty good position to move on.

Prediction: United 2, Villarreal 1

New manager bounce, right?

Paul M. Banks is the owner/manager of The Bank (TheSportsBank.Net) and author of “Transatlantic Passage: How the English Premier League Redefined Soccer in America,” as well as “No, I Can’t Get You Free Tickets: Lessons Learned From a Life in the Sports Media Industry.”

He has regularly appeared in WGNSports Illustrated and the Chicago Tribune, and co-hosts the After Extra Time podcastFollow him on Twitter and Instagram

Comments

  1. charles nyara says

    It won’t be an easy game for UTD in Span contrary to their poor record against Spanish opponents…

  2. Die to win and for nothing. Yes face the grave yard if you are an mu player with no heart to win only win and nothing in your heart and mind.

  3. Michael Oleary says

    Greenwood and rasford won’t run maguire not good enough shaw not good enough overpaid get rid off I hope new manager won’t take there shit

  4. Man u is good and you all we see what Wii be in weekend

  5. man u has clear all doubt.good one boys.vingabi

  6. up utd

Speak Your Mind