The Green Bay Packers looked like an entirely new team from the one that was shutout in a preseason opening loss to the Arizona Cardinals. The St. Louis Rams made a lot of mistakes and the Packers played consistent football en route to a 19-7 win on Saturday Night.
Here are observations from Green Bay’s second preseason game:
Observations (Real Talk)
– Eddie Lacy was a trending beast. This was our first chance to see him in live game action for the Packers and he didn’t disappoint. The guy doesn’t seem to go backwards and looks to the fit the part of a high volume guy. I’d be willing to put money on Lacy going over the century mark in a regular season game very soon. On eight carries, Lacy racked up 40 yards for a crisp 5.0 average. He certainly looks like the best option to start in the first game of the year.
– Who has butterfingers? Tight end Jermichael Finley looked like a legitimate weapon with four catches on five targets. He and Aaron Rodgers connected for 78 receiving yards and have reportedly struck up some chemistry in the offseason. With wide receivers Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson missing out on preseason action, Finley could emerge as Rodgers’ favorite target this year.
– Despite not playing a snap over the past three years – due to a suspension and jail time – defensive lineman Johnny Jolly is playing his heart out to make this team. Not only did he tip a ball that teammate Jarrett Bush would eventually intercept, the big man grabbed an interception of his own in the opponents’ red-zone.
– Rookie cornerback Micah Hyde played the entire game and was literally all over the place. He’s not nearly as talented, but reminds me a lot of Charles Woodson. Woodson always had a knack for finding the ball and Hyde has flashed similar instincts at times.
– It wasn’t all good news as rookie offensive lineman David Bahktiari struggled in his second preseason game. He gave up a clean sack by former first round pick Robert Quinn. It’s all fine and dandy that Bahktiari gets to block Clay Matthews in practice, but San Francisco’s Aldon and Justin Smith will be chomping at the bit come week one of the season.
What did you think of the Packers much more impressive preseason game? Let me know by commenting below.
Nick Grays is a senior writer at the Sports Bank where he covers the Wisconsin Badgers and Green Bay Packers. He also enjoys sharing Fantasy Advice and pretends to be a Golf expert from time-to-time. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here or visit his blog Nick Knows Best. If social media is not your thing, shoot him an email at email@example.com.
*Pictures obtained from Packers.comPowered by Sidelines Follow paulmbanks