UCLA super frosh Shabazz Muhammad declared ineligible

FacebookGoogle+TwitterLinkedInPinterestTumblrRedditStumbleUponFarkGoogle BookmarksMySpaceShare

shabazz-muhammad

UCLA super freshman Shabazz Muhammad has been declared ineligible to participate by the NCAA, the school announced before its season opener Friday night at Pauley Pavilion

Muhammad, the national high school player of the year last year and a possible top three pick in the next NBA Draft was found to have violated NCAA amateurism rules.

“In addition to other pending issues, Muhammad accepted travel and lodging during three unofficial visits to two NCAA member schools,” the NCAA said in a statement. Duke and North Carolina were two of those schools.

UCLA will appeal the decision, and they did not say how many games Muhammad has to sit out. Muhammad was rated the #1 recruit by many services.

“The NCAA has finally determined that a violation of the NCAA amateurism rules has occurred involving UCLA freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad and his family,” the school said in a statement. “As a result, he is ineligible for competition at this time. We are extremely disappointed that the NCAA has made this determination.

Paul M. Banks is CEO of The Sports Bank.net, an official Google News site generating millions of unique visitors. He’s also a regular contributor to Chicago Now, Chicago Tribune.com, Walter Football.com, Yardbarker, and Fox Sports

A Fulbright scholar and MBA, Banks has appeared on live radio all over the world; he’s also a member of the Football Writers Association of America, U.S. Basketball Writers Association, and Society of Professional Journalists. The President of the United States follows him on Twitter (@Paul_M_BanksTSB) You should too.

Powered by

Speak Your Mind