Saturday night is another big night for the NHL as the Stadium Series heads to Chicago for a matchup between the Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins. The Blackhawks-Penguins tilt will feature two of the best teams in the league today.
Here are some things to know heading into Saturday night’s game at Soldier Field.
“I think it’s going to be a great day,” said Comcast SportsNet Chicago News Director Kevin Cross.
- This is the fifth outdoor game of the 2013-14 NHL season, and the fourth and final in the Stadium Series. The final outdoor game of the season takes place the following day, March 2 in Vancouver. The Canucks will host the Ottawa Senators.
- This is Chicago’s second outdoor game. Pittsburgh is participating in its third.
- This will be the first time that Jonathan Toews and Sidney Crosby will face each other during this NHL season. The two teams have faced each other four times since both have been in the league.
- Soldier Field holds the smallest amount of fans in the NFL, housing 61,500 seats and suites.
- Comparatively, Heinz Field in Pittsburgh holds 65,050 fans. Pittsburgh hosted Washington on New Yea’s Day, 2011.
- The Blackhawks and Penguins have won three of the last five Stanley Cups.
- 8 of the 17 players representing the two teams in Sochi medaled at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- The Blackhawks-Penguins matchup is the second most expensive outdoor game of the season, according to Forbes.
Whether you are attending the game, watching in a bar, or in the comfort of your own home, enjoy the Blackhawks-Penguins (full game preview here)
“We’re really excited about it, from top to bottom, in terms of the coverage, the iconic facility that it’s in, I don’t think you can go wrong,” Cross said.
Follow Jeff on Twitter @sckih_ffej for more sports and entertainment ramblings. Jeff also contributes fantasy advice for The Fantasy Fix.Powered by Sidelines Follow paulmbanks